Tuesday, August 4, 2015

DIY Simply Sweet Hanging Birdcage Planter

Before I begin I must confess to some extreme summer blog slacking on my part these past few weeks. But in my defense we finally had a heat wave here in Illinois along with a couple sunshine filled weeks during this oh so rainy summer. So what's a girl/mom to do on her days off but go to the zoo, swim, boat, fish, you get the picture. Pretty much as many outdoor fun-filled summer adventures we can cram into this nice weather while it lasts.

That doesn't leave me much spare time to work on projects, much less blog about them. Although my numerous, half finished projects (that are patiently waiting for me to finish, and blog about) are always on the back of my mind ;). With that being said, on to my post:


Are you guys tired of my birdcage obsession yet? I hope not because here's another DIY up-cycled birdcage project :)!


Now you're probably thinking either A: Yay!! I love birdcages and I can't wait to read about another birdcage planter!! Or B: What is wrong with this girl and how could she have possibly found yet another way to put plants in a birdcage.

I really hope you all are thinking A but I do realize not everyone shares my giddy excitement for all things birdcages. Even if you are thinking B, read on because this is one of my easiest projects with an instant wow impact to any yard! 

While my idea and execution are not really a new one this particular project was so simple and required such a minimal effort on my part (literally 15 minutes of my time) that I had to share it with you all. Although I did seriously debate on whether it was blog worthy or not. In the end it turned out so pretty and really was one of the quickest, easiest DIY projects that I've done in a while so I decided it was indeed. Plus I have done absolutely nothing to my yard this year and I had to show someone besides my dogs and neighbors.

My idea came to fruition earlier this summer when my Mom and I went to a local flea market and I scored several birdcages and many other vintage treasures ;). One of the birdcages was pretty large and I knew right away it would be perfect as a hanging planter.


The only problem was it was gold. Gold just wouldn't do for the look I wanted. Plus I had picked up a shepherd's hook that was black and it would flow much better if the birdcage was black too.


So I grabbed a can of black spray paint, some newspaper and a sanding sponge and headed out to the backyard. I gave the birdcage a light sanding and wipe down before spray painting so that hopefully the paint would adhere and fare well through the outdoor elements.


I then spray painted the birdcage black (and the grass/weeds) while Jackson played on his play set in the backyard. He took breaks to come by and check out my progress a couple of times.


A few days later when the paint on the birdcage was dry and I had some spare time I gathered the last bit of supplies I needed to finish my planter. I had to brainstorm on what kind of pot I could squeeze inside since I only had a little door on the side of the birdcage to put whatever I wanted inside of it. The top, unfortunately, didn't flip open like a lot of other decorative birdcages. So I bought a molded coco liner and a clearance petunia plant hoping they would work out.


The coco liner fit in almost perfectly. I then transferred the petunia plant by sections through the door and wove the delicate flowers through the bars to hang outside of the birdcage.


Here's the finished birdcage planter (if you find your eyes straying to the claw marks on our fence it's not from crazy coons or other wild animals, it's from our Amstaff Darwin, he's a jumper!).



Such a simple and quick DIY planter! I think it turned out very elegant and sweet looking. Not bad for 15 minutes of my time!

Until the next time,

-Sherri :)

18 comments:

  1. Love it! It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! I would have never made it had I not gone to the flea market with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look! Now I have to find a bird cage and try this.

    Thanks for sharing your project at the Summer Family Fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barb :) I am always on the lookout for unique birdcages...well pretty much any and all birdcages ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, the gold just wouldn't do, black is much better. Love it! I picked up a birdcage at a thrift store recently which I'm still hanging on to. Now I have a great idea of what to do with it! Thanks for sharing with us at Summer Family Fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by and your sweet words Rick :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure your birdcage planter will turn out beautiful Shirley!! Let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh I love this idea so much! I see birdcages everywhere know I know what to do with them :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Shantel! I am, what some would say, a birdcage hoarder ;) so I'm constantly having to think of different ways to decorate with them everywhere in and outside of my home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love birdcages so I was thinking A for sure! This is really sweet. I would love this hanging from the tree in my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great repurposing, I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also love birdcages, this one is lovely and you gave me a great idea to use mine in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it Sherri! I absolutly news to do this!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Something to Talk About!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your bird cage planter. Black for sure.
    Thanks for sharing at Turn It Up Tuesday,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  15. How (or rather, where) did you find the thing the cage is hanging from, the standard, cause I can't seem to find such a thing. Because I would love to make this for indoors, but I really need something to hang the cage from, and I rather not make holes in my ceiling or walls.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template designed By Sherri.